Monday, July 11, 2011

4th of July




This last month is nothing but a blur.  This week has been lovely, we've been able to sleep in until 6:30am almost every day.  We went over to the Jansen's to double check all the stuff for the ability of the missionaries to stay in Suriname, and everything turned out fine.  I don't really know what happened, but the mean voice lawyer called me because I had sent an email to Pres. Ricks in the Mission Presidency, who forwarded my email to the lawyer.  They got everything worked out and we'll continue missionary efforts in Suriname. 

We'll be going to the Jansen's again today, to have a 4th of July celebration, because the BBQ at the Ambassador's house isn't going to go through.  We'll eat hamburgers and have rootbeer floats and have a grand time. 

I've got now a thing that allows me to drive here in Suriname, it's good.  Driving on the wrong side of the road is about as strange as riding a bike on the wrong side of the road.  After about two weeks it feels mostly normal.  The stranger part is that you have to stay abnormally close to the lines on the inside, because I'm not accustomed to having all the excess automobile hanging off the the left of me.  Normally it's off to the right.  But,  yeah, it all gets normal after a bit of practice. 

Pres. Gamiette is coming Thursday, which is good because we need help.  Everyone is struggling and seeing little to no success in the work.  This is a massive problem because we're supposed to begin baptizing weekly.  We didn't even get to see the people we needed to this week, they were simply too busy, or out of town, or not interested anyway, and didn't get anyone who needed to be there into the church.  So now, we have to wait another week before we can baptize anyone.  It just keeps getting pushed further and further away. 

Elder Hulme and Elder Freeman

We've been teaching a man named Ruben.  He's stubborn.  He's Christian, but refuses to go to church, saying that his home is holy enough so he doesn't need anything further.  He's been reading in the Book of Mormon though, and I think he's learning bit by bit.  He, his wife and a few of his 5 children would then all be baptized.  I've set two personal goals for the last 9 months of service as a full time missionary.  They are as follows
1. Baptize every week for 12 weeks straight
2. Baptize two families, Father Mother Children
These are incredibly lofty, but I think I can do it.  I think also, that this is what the Lord expects of me. 
As I said earlier, President Gamiette will be here Thursday, we are his drivers to everywhere he needs to go.  We'll be having a zone conference and the part that Elder Guinn and I are doing is on the Doctrine of Christ, which goes a lot into unity.  The point I think we want to make is that if we do everything that President Gamiette and the Prophets ask, we'll then produce what is expected of us.  I hope that this will impact the other missionaries like it has impacted me.  It's interesting that I'm striving to be micromanaged by God and his servants, I never thought I'd do that.
Love Elder Hulme

No comments:

Post a Comment