Wednesday, September 22, 2010

What a Night

Millie called me on my way home from parent-teacher conferences saying that someone from the Alabama, Birmingham mission called.  What do you think goes through a mother's mind when a call, not from her son, comes from the mission home?  1st thought - Visa?  No, they would probably allow Xander to call.  2nd thought - Injury. Was Xander in some kind of accident or is really sick in the hospital?  3rd thought - Is Xander having sudden problems and wants to come home?  So I had Millie give me the name and number, I took a deep breath, and called.  I knew the  mission president's name, and the caller ID name was different.  I figured I was calling some assistant.  But guess who picked up the phone?  The mission president.  I was kind of star struck.  I mean, who calls the mission president at 8:00 at night?  NOT ME, but there I was - just called the guy up like he's my next-door neighbor.  I fumbled for words and told him who I was and that my daughter received a call from this number, etc.   He confirmed that he was the one who had called and just wanted to tell me what a great job Xander was doing.  My heart was pounding out of my chest, waiting for the bad news to come.  He continued telling me that Xander and his companion were having a baptism this weekend, and that he loves my son, and that he is so proud of him and his hard work.  I awkwardly squeak out something like, "Thank you, that is so nice to hear."

At this point I am expecting either the imminent bad news, or perhaps some really great news that maybe his Visa came or something.  In either case, my heart is working overtime, and I'm trying not to breathe heavily into my cell phone.  He continues with the kindest compliments I could ever hear about my missionary son.  I'm floored.  I'm still nervous.  I'm awkward as can be.  I try to return the compliments by saying what a great job he and his wife do (which I meant sincerely, but I'm certain I sounded like a mumbling idiot.)  He asked if I was aware of the blog which they keep, and I said that we checked it frequently and enjoyed reading it very much.  He said he was updating the blog tonight, so I said, "Great, I'll make sure I read it."  We said our good-byes.

Now, what do you think was going through my mind?  1st - what a dimwit I must have sounded like.  The phone call just caught me so off guard!  2nd - is there some surprise on the blog?  Maybe a photo of Xander with his new Visa or something?  I arrived home and checked the blog.  Same as yesterday.  Check again nervously.  Same. Repeat several times.  Get a stomach ache.  Finally after about 45 minutes, it's updated.  Way down at the bottom of the blog, there are two photos of Xander and some very nice compliments.  No Visa.  But a good-looking young chap with a bright smile and some very nice words from his mission president.

What a night.

1 comment:

  1. How cool is that. A personal call from the Mission President. And filled with many compliments for Xander. Nothing better than that! (I know what you mean though about thinking you responded awkwardly. I feel that way all the time.)

    ReplyDelete