Wednesday, December 8, 2010

From the Eyes of Elder Hulme



1.  You see the sun each day.  It usually rains each day as well.
2.  We are in the "citiest" part of the city, and it's super cool.
3.  In this country, food spontaneously combusts.  I mean, I could go weeks living on the fruit that falls onto the ground - coconuts, mangoes, and things of that nature.
4.  It's completely flat here.  Not even a hill.
5.  They love raunchy pictures.

We played Ultimate Frisbee this morning for 5 hours.  It was fantastic.  When you ask someone how they are they reply with the word "rustig."  It means rusty.  I think when people ask me how I am, I'll begin answering, "I'm rusty."

We had a baptism last week.  Her name is Zuster Malats, which means leprosy, which is a bit unfortunate.  She was already converted when I got here, so I didn't teach her anything except some commandments.  But now I've been able to teach her lots of stuff, namely the new member lessons that everyone is supposed to receive.
This photo is right-side up on my computer,
but it won't stay that way here!



The bike issue here is tough because nobody sells any tools.  All of the bikes here are these cheap Chinese beasts of one or two varieties:

1)  Euro style, dropped toptube, 700c fat tires, coaster brakes.
2)  America style, simple means beach cruiser, coaster brakes, with "s" shaped cranks.
I'm currently using someone else's America stye bike.  He's painted the old Utah Jazz colors on it, purple, green, and yellow.  It's quite ugly and hilarious.  Chains here stretch out in about a week, but flats aren't as bad as you'd expect.  I may have to buy a bike from the muslim store (likely a stolen bike).



Elder Hulme and his MTC companion Elder Freeman reunited in Suriname
I (VaLene) want to be this lady's friend.  She looks like a hoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment