Thursday, April 28, 2011

Easter Here is Huge

Easter here is huge, but it's quite cheapened when you see everyone just taking a 4 day long vacation, and nobody really doing any Jesus things.  We saw bunches of Hindu and Muslim kids lighting fireworks though, that was celebratory.  And we got to sing that one hymn that I like, Christus is Verezen nu!






Today we ate lunch at the Salijo's again.  It was good, but I wonder if the people who live here their whole lives ever get sick of eating the same food every single day.  I think I would, luckily we make our own food too, so it's more varietiesly.  

Thanks for the ring! That was quite the experience, having 14 20-year-olds all in a room balling their heads off.  The 40 day fast was great, we all grew a little closer and had a good follow up meeting about it, everyone was enlightened I think. 

Elder Bytendorp talked to a man last week that really wanted a Book of Mormon, so we were trying to get a hold of him, and I took this picture of Elder Bytendorp.  I thought that that particular sunset was really cool.  

The guy ended up blowing us off 3 times and I don't think he'll be receiving a book.  That's super frustrating about Surinamers, they tell you a time to come over, and then aren't there.  This happens at least daily, and usually many times a day.  I guess they just aren't used to appointments.  Friday we showed up to two different people who asked us to come over at a specific time, we changed our whole schedule to do it, and then we show up and they were taking a nap.  That's one thing about Suriname too, if someone is taking a nap, it is a federal offense to wake them.  I think I'd appreciate that, but then you get through your whole life and realize all you did was sleep.  

I went on exchanges with Elder Guinn on Wednesday.  We had lots of fun, knocking doors in the richest neighborhood in Suriname, and just talking and laughing.

We taught Zr Parni about tithing.  It was a disaster.  She had no clue that tithing was a commandment.  We tried explaining it using the scriptures, but the whole situation was just spiraling out of control.  Then after  the closing prayer when both Elder Bytendorp and I assumed that she was going to never come back to church, she reviewed the law of tithing one more time, and understood most of it and accepted it.  It was an absolute miracle. 
I've still never crashed my bike as a missionary, I feel like I'm getting left out of the club or something, everyone else seems to crash.  
Love you bunches
-Elder Hulme  

No comments:

Post a Comment