Saturday, April 16, 2011

Flat Tire, Broken Camera, Ripped Pants, Bird Poop


Recent converts are great, I liked hearing about the one in Oregon. Here are the recent converts we have here in Blauwgrond (blue ground)
Kasmani 1 - 6
Zr Parni
Jacinta- won't talk to us, I haven't even been able to meet her
Ramon- coaches soccer, busy every week and hasn't been to church since I've been in Suriname.  We're super responsible for these people, but 2 of them are super impossible, which makes things super hard to stay on super top of. 
 
I've been trying to teach Zr Kasmani's other two sons, but they are slippery.  We waited for one for 20 minutes yesterday, then we had to go to another lesson, and he took off right after we left.  The other we've got an appointment with Friday.  They are 18 and 22 I think, and they get into fist fights all the time.  I think missionary service is good for young men.  They are both covered in tattoos (tattooing here begins at 14 years old it seems, so most of the tattoos you see are absolutely awful).  Luckily, Zr Kasmani is determined to get them taught, so we'll be working with her in that way. 

 
Saturday was nuts, and filled with opposition.  We had to print some stuff out, and when we came out, I had a flat tire.  So we called a taxi, got a new tube, then while I was installing the tube, I ripped my pants (2nd pair this week that got killed in the crotch).  It wasn't too big of a hole luckily - easily sewed.  Then when I was nearly done with the tube I ripped another hole in the pants! That Kleermaker makes some wussy pants.  They are only 4 months old.  Still sewable though, and has been done now.  Then our appointment wasn't there, which wasn't the worst thing because we had to head up to Clevia anyway. We went to Warung for lunch.  Food was great, I had bamie and bacabanas.  Then we came back to the bikes, and a bird took a poop in my helmet.  It was way gross, so I cleaned the helmet and we headed out to Clevia.


Clevia is North, the northernmost part of the country.  Which means the closest part to the ocean, which ocean I still have not seen.  But it also means that frequently there is a huge breeze that comes, and it was way strong Saturday.  I was dripping with sweat by the time we got to our destination.  Here you're usually wet, but not frequently super sweaty, but Saturday was way way sweaty.  Then Elder Bytendorp broked his camera (that was stolen two days later).  It was rough, but we ended up teaching a lot of people that day.  We decided now to only work with families if at all possible, we have 4 investigator families now, two are looking super super promising, and two took some steps in the wrong direction.  The coolest are the Fung-A-Wing and Karta families, the other two are Asmad and Kastani.  Elder Bytendorp learned the spelling of Fung-A-Wing from the tattoo on sister Fung-A-Wing's back, it was hilarious having him explain how to spell that name and how he knew. 
Ripsticks here are the hottest thing, everyone wants a ripstick.  Life is good here in the Caribbean
-Elder Hulme

No comments:

Post a Comment