Thursday, September 29, 2011

My Favorite Tool is Called a Chop



This is me with Brother Tjong a Jong, the day that we did service for him.  That tool is called a chop, I think it's my favorite tool, similar to a hoe but shorter handle and a very setback blade.


Next is me and Brother Conrad.  He's one of our best investigators right now.  He looks like a pirate, came to church, is loving the Book of Mormon. 

He's been a bus driver for like 50 years now, and used to work with Brother Tjongajong for a long long time.  We didn't know that until he came to church and they were talking, it was a good experience.  As he was leaving the church he was saying something to the effect  of how glad he was that God had lead him to this church.  He won't accept a baptismal date yet, I'm not sure why, but he knows we expect it.  I'm very glad for him, and excited to work even more with him.  Elder Scott who is coming home in 2 weeks took a picture with him, and made a pirate hook with his finger, it was pretty funny.  


The last is our new district!  we've got 3 trainers and 3 trainees now.  The one in the red is Elder Garcia, he's cool, from sugar house, and looks just like Tyler Otteson to me.  The other is Elder Sadler, from Illinois somewhere.  He seems good too, but I haven't had too much of a chance to talk with him.  The other three elders are Elder Tullis, training Elder Sadler, and I'm so stoked for him, I would love to have Elder Tullis as my trainer - he knows how to make missionary work fun.  Elder Fernandez, of Brussels Belgium is training Elder Garcia, the two spanish root name companionship.  Then there is Elder Job and I, loving the work in Wanica.  Elder Job has lots of interesting things.  He's from Groningen, he's got a girlfriend who is a convert of 2 years and will be getting her mission papers in sometime.  It's funny because he's super dark and she's super light, like way way way white skin.  Elder Job gets tons of mail, from tons of people, nearly every day.  He likes making pancakes in the morning.  He's been snowboarding before, but in an indoor artificial resort, it sounds kind of boring compared to real mountains.


We got together as a zone today, played some frisbee, played some soccer, basketball, everything.  Then went and spent 300SRD at Burger King.  I like the Angry Whopper.  I haven't had Javanese food in a long time...  I should get on that.  For the caramel corn, I just browned some butter, added some coffee cream and sugar and poured that on salted popcorn.  I'm so excited for conference, I love this time of year, even though this is my last conference.  It's so strange being on the downhill slope of missionary work, and seeing other elders packing up and going home.  
I gave a talk on Sunday.  I talked about scripture study.  I am trying to get the branch to learn the doctrines better, because it seems that the understanding level right now is very very simple, and not very converted.  I used the parts that talk about "ask and ye shall recieve, seek knock."  My favorite is in 2Nephi 32:3-5 with the question of, What happens if you do not understand the doctrine?  MMMMM I love restored truth.  Did you get my postcard?  and Elder Job's?
It's great hearing from you.  Thanks for all the support.  
-Elder Hulme

No comments:

Post a Comment