Monday, October 18, 2010

Angels

(Photos copied without any permission whatsoever from the Alabama Birmingham Mission Blog)

Brother Jones (our recent convert) was ordained a Priest yesterday.  He was also called to be the Branch Missionary.  He's been walking around introducing himself as Elder Hulme since I put my name tag on him yesterday.  I think he's going to be an integral part of this branch.  He's been setting up appointments for us with his friends.

Elders Fisher, Robison, Guinn, and Hulme

Yesterday, I was getting pretty down because we don't have very many, if any, good progressing investigators.  Elder Guinn was pretty down, too, and he was praying for someone to help us out.  President Archibald from the Stake Presidency was visiting our branch.  It was fast and testimony meeting and I enjoyed the service.  Afterward, President Archibald wanted to talk with Elder Guinn and I.  I need to backtrack...  When Elder Bednar was here in September, a missionary asked him why or how we could receive the ministering of angels.  His response was like this, "Why would he have body-less beings try to do angel stuff when there are home teachers to do it, or missionaries, or bishops, or any number of other influential people already living?"  Well, President Archibald was our angel.  He spent 1.5 hours with us.  He gave us sound advice, a lot of encouragement, and was exactly what Elder Guinn and I needed.

Folks keep saying that they're sorry I haven't received my visa yet.  It's okay.  I actually am growing to like Alabama.  I'm content to stay here as long as needed.  However, I think it would be a tragedy to never make it to Suriname to finish learning Dutch or meet my original mission president.  Although, I'm not sure anyone could have a better mission president than President Holzapfel.

Elder Hulme and President Holzapfel

It's nice knowing that I'm not in this work alone.  I purchased a little composition book and have been recording all the miracles I see.  It's going to be a real treat to look back and see day-by-day all the incredible stuff that's happened while being here.

We make some pretty stinking good sushi.  We also made a vegetable lasagne, but it wasn't anything special like I had hoped.  It was still good, though.

I love you guys.  Thanks for all the nice notes sent my way.  I'm learning lots and doing good.

No comments:

Post a Comment